Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Heritage

I've never done a straight-up homage to my Puerto Rican roots. I didn't start out doing that here, but it ended up that way.

This isn't the finished product, but I wanted to take a second to think about that. I never take my culture for granted, and Lord knows that my colors have always been inspired by the homes of Humacao, where my father's family is from, but I have never painted an image that says "Yo soy Puertorriqueño..." But I am.

Maybe it's a matter of being known as "Latino artist Richard Lopez" (even though there already is a Richard Lopez- my second cousin, Latino artist Richard Lopez...). I'd rather be known first for my work, and second for my race.

But I am making this painting in honor of my family, my heart, and all those who came before me.

So there's that.

Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments:

Post a Comment